Sunday, October 26, 2008

Beef Bulgogi

I came back from mom's house late and did not have much time to prepare dinner. So what I did was to use some of the beef bulgogi I bought yesterday to prepare my dinner. I tried to google for a suitable Japanese recipe but didn't find anything nice. In the end I came up with my own version of beef with rice and seaweed. This is super easy to make and it is really yummy. For those who are interested to try this recipe, I will share with you how I did it so that you can also give it a try.

This is really a Japanese and Korean ingredients mixed meal. Beef bulgogi, Hokkaido rice, Korean seaweed.

Here are some of the pictures of how my beef bulgogi look.
Photobucket

I used the Hokkaido rice I bought sometime ago instead of the normal rice to go with the beef and it goes superbly well. Hubby and sons said they like it very much.
Photobucket

My older boy did not want to wrap the seaweed with the beef so I made it into a beef bowl for him.
Photobucket

For the rest of us, we had it this way.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Ingredients:
400g beef bulgogi cut into strips
1 large onion, sliced
5 cloves of garlic, minced

Marinate:
3 Chinese soup spoon of Japanese dark soya sauce
3 Chinese soup spoon of Mirin
1 tsp of sugar
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp of chilli powder (if you want it non-spicy then use 1 tsp of paprika)

Methods:
1. Marinate the beef with the marinate for about 15 minutes.
2. Heat up a pan with some oil. Saute the garlic and onion for a few minutes.
3. Add in the marinated beef and stir well to break up the beef. Fry until beef is cooked thoroughly. At this stage some water will appear in the pan which is ok because this is a sauce you can pour over the rice. Do a quick tasting. If it is not salty enough, add some salt at this point. Turn off fire. Sprinkle a tbsp of toasted white sesame seed and give it a quick stir.

You can either spoon the beef over a bowl of cooked rice and top it off with some Korean roasted seaweed. The other to eat it is to take a piece of Korean seaweed, spoon some rice onto it, and top it off with the beef. Pop it into your mouth and enjoy!

The reason I use Korean seaweed in this meal is because Korean seaweed is very thin, very crispy and a bit more salty than the Japanese version.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

may i know whats the proportion of rice to water? i tried twice already. once my rice was undercooked, the other time they came out really wet! pls help!

Hugbear said...

Hi Rachel, you can use 3 cups of rice to 3.5 cups of water. Use the same cup you measure the rice to measure your water. After the rice is cooked, don't open the ricecooker immediately. Leave the rice inside the ricecooker for 15 mins, then open the lid and fluff up the rice.

agapejen said...

Hi Baking Mom
May I know where do you get the beef? I tried your recipe using stir fried beef (from Cold storage). THe gravy sauce is yummy but the beef is a bit too hard.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Culiverter

Add it to your blog