Friday, September 12, 2008

Baked Traditional Mooncake

This is very good recipe that Florence has shared in her blog. I really love it after trying it out for the first time. Like what Florence has said in her blog, you can adjust the oil and sugar to your liking.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Traditional Baked Mooncake

Ingredient:
200g plain flour
60g peanut oil
130g golden syrup (Abram Lyles)
1 tsp alkaline water

Filling:
1 kg lotus seed paste
salted egg yolks (optional)
roasted melon seeds (optional)

Egg glace:
1 yolk + 1 tsp water lightly beaten and strain

Method:
1. Mix peanut oil, golden syrup and alkaline water together in a big cup and sit this cup in a bowl of boiling water. Stir till mixture is well combine. Remove and leave aside to cool till warm state but not cold.
2. Sieve plain flour into a mixing bowl. Make a well in the flour and pour in the warm syrup. Mix till a dough is formed. Cover the mixing bowl with a wet towel and rest the dough for 30 - 45 minutes.
3. Divide dough and filling according to the size of your mould. Shape the dough into a round flat sheet with sides thinner than the centre.
4. Wrap in the filling and mould it into a ball shape. Coat it with flour.
5. Dredge wooden mooncake mould with flour and put the mooncake into the mould. Flatten it with your floured palms and make sure that the mooncake fills up the mould nicely.
6. To dislodge the mooncake, bang the mould on a hard surface with equal force in the north, south, east and west direction.
7. Place mooncakes on a lined pan and spray the mooncakes with some water. Bake at 180C - 190C for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, cool the cakes for 5 - 10 minutes then apply egg glace and bake for another 10 - 15 minutes or till golden brown. As every oven varies, please standby to check on your mooncakes. If you are doing standard size mooncakes, the baking time might be longer.
8. Store cooled mooncakes in an airtight container and serve only after 3 days.

Notes:
Salted egg yolks
I soaked the yolks in 1 tbsp Chinese wine (紹興酒 or 玫瑰露) for 15 minutes.
I used raw yolks but you can bake it at 160C for 2 - 3 minutes.
If you are adding in egg yolk, wrap the yolk in the lotus seed paste.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

They LOOK so yummy!!! Where can I buy the mini moon cake moulds online?? Thank you

Hugbear said...

You can get mooncake moulds at almost any shop that sells baking stuff like Phoon Huat, Sun Lik, Kwong Chong Thye at Aljunied, Ailin, etc etc.

Anonymous said...

Hi Hugbear,

I like both of your lvvely mooncakes. May I know how many mooncakes can be make in your baked mooncakes recipes. Thanks.

Recipes hunter

Amy Goh said...

Your moonies looks great! Yum, Yum!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lee Lee,
Do u brush the sides of the mooncakes with egg glaze too? thks

Is using plain flour in this recipe better than the other one usiing HK flour to make the bake mooncakes? thks

Hugbear said...

This recipe can make between 6 to 8 big mooncakes.

I did not brush the sides with egg glaze. Using HK flour gives a softer texture to the skin as compared to plain flour.

ill fate said...

I have question reagrding the salt egg yolk.

Dont' really understand by what you wrote.

Notes:
Salted egg yolks
I soaked the yolks in 1 tbsp Chinese wine (紹興酒 or 玫瑰露) for 15 minutes. is it shao xing jiu?
I used raw yolks but you can bake it at 160C for 2 - 3 minutes.- is it a must to bake it first?
If you are adding in egg yolk, wrap the yolk in the lotus seed paste

Hugbear said...

Hi Cin_Babes, I used 紹興酒. Yes, you can either bake or steam the yolk as it is raw.

Measure the weight of the salted egg yolk. Eg, if the yolk is 20g, you will need to take out 20g from the weight of the lotus paste that you are using. If say, you need 120g of lotus paste for your mooncake, if you want to add 1 egg yolk, then take 120g less 20g and it will give you 100g of lotus paste. Flatten the lotus paste and place the cooked yolk in the center and wrap it up and roll into a ball for later use.

Anonymous said...

Hi can I know where to get peanut oil? Can I use other oil?

Hugbear said...

I cannot find peanut oil so I just used corn oil.

Anonymous said...

Is the baking time for piglet same as baking the big one?

Where can i get salted egg yolk in Singapore?

Anonymous said...

Hihi Baking Mum,
I intend to make this mooncake for my mum as she is a vegeterian. I am not sure can I omit the egg wash? Pls advise what else can subsitute egg wash.
Many thanks.

Your supporter

Anonymous said...

Hi, I would like to know what is the purpose of a WARM syrup mixture. By the way, my oven is small, do I bake it using only the upper or upper n lower heater setting? Thanks a lot.

Hugbear said...

Hi, my supporter, you can try using milk to glaze it.

I think the purpose of warming the syrup in Florence's recipe is to make sure the syrup is melted down and mix in well with the oil.

cre8tone said...

Wow! So many cute shapes!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Hugbear,

I know its way over the mooncake festival, but my family can't have enough of it. I tried making them once but always got problem with the dough. Do I have to rest them in a bowl and just cover the whole bowl with damp cloth or cover the dough directly with damp cloth? The dough just stick to my fingers so much that I kept adding the flour. What should I do to avoid that?

I want to do it again cos I still have some left over ingredient sitting inside my refrigerator.

Please guide me along.

Thanks a lot.
AG

Little Pretty Tots said...

Hihi!
I bot the mooncake syrup from Sun Lik. Can I use this instead of golden syrup?

Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Culiverter

Add it to your blog