Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Stewed Beef

I bought some beef chunk yesterday as I intend to cook some beef stew for the boys to eat for lunch. Tonight after work, I managed to cook the beef stew and baked strawberry muffins. I also bought a pack of ready to bake puff pastry to bake some stewed beef pies for the boys and hubby. Hopefully there will still be some left by tomorrow night for that purpose.

I actually do not have a recipe to follow but everything was cooking the way I like it and adding stuff as I go along. Sharing with you how I cook my beef stew. You may modify the recipe to suit your preference. Reason I did not use any plain flour or corn flour mixed with water for my stew is that the McCormick beef gravy itself will thicken the gravy as you cook.

Photobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Beef Stew

Ingredients:
600 g of beef chunk
1 small white raddish cut into medium chunks
4 or 5 small carrots cut into medium chunks
1 big white onion roughly chopped up
2 tbsp of chopped garlic
2 heapful tbsp of tomato paste
500ml of red wine
1 tbsp of dried oregano
1 tbsp of dried parsley
Salt and sugar to taste
2 big tbspful of beef gravy mix (McCormick) mixed with 500ml of water

Methods:
1. Season beef chunks with some salt and black pepper.
2. Heat up a frying pan with some oil. When pan is hot, add in beef in batches and brown all sides of the beef. Take it out of pan and set aside.
3. Using the same frying pan, add a little oil and fry onion and garlic for a few minutes. 4. Add in beef, carrot, raddish and tomato paste and fry for another 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Add in all the red wines and the gravy sauce. Stir well and now add in the dried herbs.
6. Taste the sauce and adjust salt and sugar to your liking. If using Tigerpot of Thermal pot, let the mixture cook over the stove for at least 15 minutes before transferring to the outer pot to let it continue to cook.
7. Cook in thermal pot for as many hours as you can afford the time. The longer you cook the softer the beef becomes. In between reheat the thermal pot to retain the heat to enable the heat to continue to stew the beef and carrot. For those who are just using normal pot to cook the stew, just simmer over low heat for a few hours or until the beef is soft.

3 comments:

Kitchen Corner said...

wow.. I miss beef stew very much! That's a wholesome meal!

Anonymous said...

Hi! Mind to share your beef stew receipe?
Thanks
Christina (cpoh@ymail.com)

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Can I replace beef with chicken? And instead of adding red wine, should I change to white wine or red is still ok to go with chicken?

Thanks....... :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Culiverter

Add it to your blog