Sunday, October 05, 2008

Crispy Pizza Base

Photobucket

Crispy Pizza Base

Ingredients:
4 tsp instant dry yeast
300 ml lukewarm water
500g plain flour
1 tsp salt

Methods:

Sprinkle the yeast into 100 ml of the water. Leave to dissolve for 5-10 minutes. Add about 2 tbsp of the flour and mix to a smooth paste then stir in the remaining water. Cover and leave the yeast mixture for about 30 minutes or until it is bubbling and foamy.

Combine the flour and salt in a mixing bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour in the yeast liquid. Using a wooden spoon, work the ingredients together by pulling the flour into the liquid until it comes together. Use your hand to transfer the mixture to a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough for 10 minutes or until it is smooth and elastic. Form the dough into a round loaf. Leave to rise under a clean tea towel for about 1.5 to 2 hours or until doubled in size.

Punch down the dough and knead for a couple of minutes. Divide the dough into four balls. Press each dough ball out flat and using a floured rolling pin, shape into a 25-30 cm (10-12 inch) diameter circle. Using your knuckles, press just inside the edge to raise them slightly. Leave to rest for 10-15 minutes. Preheat oven to 220C/425F/Gas mark 7.

Add your toppings. Cook in the middle of the oven for 10-12 minutes or until crispy and golden and the base is cooked.

Note: I used my Kitchenaid mixer to mix the dough so I did not follow exactly the recipe here for the hand kneading part.

21 comments:

Cranberry said...

Wow! Love your crispy pizza, esp the prawns w/rocket veg.. prawns looks so juicy! Must really try making this one day, I m very sure sam gonna like this! He loves cripsy base pizza. Thanks for sharing, Lee :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your recipe, I will try this asap as I've just bought a Kenwood mixer last week. I love reading your blog and all your recipes, really admire your cooking and baking skills, I have a lot of or can be said completed set of kitchen utensils but as my friends said, you have lots of teori but no practical lah... so I will start to learn and if any thing, can I consult you...???

Anonymous said...

thank you for your tips. amazing and i will learn from u !

Hugbear said...

Hi mywoklife, thanks for dropping by. Hope you will enjoy this recipe as much as I did.

SIG said...

Thanks thanks, you read my mind. I was thinking what recipe you used and hunted down one you used in an earlier post. :) Makes me wanna make pizza soon. Hehe.

Anonymous said...

I made the crispy pizza for my kids today. They simply loved it! Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Esther

Hugbear said...

Hi Esther, nice right. Glad your family like it too.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I like to try the steam cake.I just want to ask the whipping cream need to whip or just pour to the chocolate?

Thanks

Lian

Hugbear said...

Lian no need to whip it up.

Anonymous said...

Hi Hugbear,

I would like to try your pizza recipe. Can you please share with me how to mix all the crust ingredient using electric mixer.
Please email me at: soesansie@gmail.com

Thank you so much..

Hugbear said...

If using a mixer, do the yeast and water and 2 tbsp flour thing as in original recipe. Mix flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Using a dough hook to do the kneading. Pour the yeast mixture into the flour and knead until it is smooth and elastic. The rest follow the original recipe on the step to rest the dough.

Anonymous said...

hi hugbear,

Thank you for your quick reply. I really appreciate it.
Happy Merry Christmas to you and your family.


GBU,
Soesansie

Food For Tots said...

Chanced upon your blog from House of Annie. I had been making pizza doughs but the top part was not cooked. My friend asked me to prebake the dough before adding the ingredients. But I noticed that u left the dough rest for 15 mins before adding the ingredients. What is your advice?

Unknown said...

Hi Hugbear,
Just like to check whether I can freeze the leftover (unbaked) dough in the freezer to be use at another time?

Thanks

Hugbear said...

Yes you can. What I do with the leftover dough is I roll it out, put the paste and filling and freeze it. After it has frozen, I wrapped it up wth cling wrap and foil and leave it in freezer until the kids want to eat then I bake it.

Anonymous said...

Dear Hugbear


Where should we keep the instant dry yeast as I bought my instant dry yeast jus few mth ago. Before that I use to bake bread and it rinse but doing the Pizza dough but cant rise at all.

One more issue would like to your advice. Where should we get non dairy whipping cream? I been to many place but just could not find it.

Hugbear said...

Keep the instant yeast in the freezer. That is what I did. I usually buy the big packet of instant yeast and pour it into a container and keep it in my freezer.

Are you from Singapore? If yes, you can get non-diary whipping cream from Phoon Huat.

Anonymous said...

Dear Hugbear

Put freezer would the yeast become hard like stone? Is that the reason I put at kitchen area become dead yeast.

Yes Im singaporean,I got make a trip to phoon huat at clementi but they don't sell non diary whipping.Not even cold storage sell it.

Hugbear said...

Storing it in the freezer will not make it hard. It remains the same as when you leave it outside. Leaving the yeast outside and if it is hot temperature it can kill the yeast.

Maybe other branches sell the non-diary whipping cream. It is red in colour packaging. You can always phone them up and check with them before you go down.

Anonymous said...

dear hug bear, can u give me any tipe on how to make a thicker pizza base but yet crispy?

Hugbear said...

Maybe you can prebake the crust first to half cook. Then spread sauce and other ingredients and then continue baking until brown.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Culiverter

Add it to your blog