Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Orange Chiffon Cake

I just tried out this orange chiffon cake from Kevin Chai's recipe book for the first time with a few modification of my own. The cake is really very soft and spongy. I still find it a little sweet for my taste even though I have cut down on some of the sugar. Anyway, I am sharing the recipe here and what I have done to modify it.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


ORANGE CHIFFON CAKE (by Kevin Chai)

Ingredients:

(Part A)
7 egg yolks
50g sugar
60ml orange juice (I used 80 ml)
½ tsp salt
1tsp orange flavour/compound
4 tbsp cooking oil (I used corn oil)
2 tbsp grated orange zest
110g self-raising flour (I replaced with cake flour and 1 tsp baking powder)
Few drops of orange colouring (I omitted this)
* I added 1 tbsp of Cointreau (orange liquer)

(Part B)
7 egg whites
130g sugar (I reduced the sugar to 100g)
½ tsp cream of tartar (I only used ¼ tsp)
Method:

(Part A)
1. Mix egg yolks, sugar, salt, oil, orange zest, orange juice and colouring in a mixing bowl. Fold in sifted flour until a batter is formed.

(Part B)
1. Whisk egg white and cream of tartar until foamy. Add in sugar and continue to beat at high speed until peaks form.
2. Gently fold beaten egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture until well mixed. Pour into a 22 cm chiffon cake mould and bake in a preheated oven at 170C for 30 -40 minutes or until cooked.
3. Remove from oven and invert cake pan to cool.

Note to those who wants to reduce the amount of sugar used in this recipe. You have to use your own discretion on how much you want to reduce based on whether the orange juice you use is very sweet or sour. But my reduction of 30g is a save bet unless you have a very sweet tooth.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

HiHi...I am concern with sweetness, since it is still to sweet per your taste, can I further reduce the sugar part. Will the cake turn out alright if the sugar is cut.
Thanks!

Hugbear said...

Hi, I think the next time I will try to reduce another 20g of sugar. It should be ok, will not affect the texture. The texture of my cake is a little moist (as opposed to on the dry side) which is what I like and the cake is really soft and cotton like because of the change of the type of flour used. If you don't like very moist cake, then follow original recipe of 60ml orange juice.

chow and chatter said...

orange cake love the sound of this and i agree a lot cakes are just as good with less sugar

Taste of My Life said...

Hi! I love your recipes! This is looking good and delicious!

Anonymous said...

hiies.love all ur recipes!!!thks for constantly posting them!!!ur very generous n helpful=)
btw,i thk the cake pan is 22cm not 22 inch.=D

petite nyonya said...

hi baking mum, yr chiffon looks really soft and nice! will try it some day and let you know if i do.

Anonymous said...

HI!CAKE FLOUR-IS IT THE NORMAL PLAIN FLOUR? IF NOT WHERE CAN I GET IT....I LOVE TO BAKE BUT HAVE NOT BEEN DOING SO FOR YEARS, WOULD LIKE TO TRY OUT THIS RECEIPE OF YOURS....
CAKE LOVER :>

Anonymous said...

Orange flavour is it refer to orange essence?
Beat the egg white and sugar at high speed until peak form. Please elaborate further this.
Thanks.....

Hugbear said...

Thanks for pointing out the error on the measurement of the cake pan. I have amended it already.

Orange flavour can be the essence or it can be the orange paste. If it is essence and it doesn't come with any colour then you can add a few drops of orange colour. If it is orange paste then I think it is already with colouring.

Beat eggwhite until it is stiff, ie if you overturn your bowl the eggwhite will not fall out of the bowl.

Hugbear said...

Hi Anonymous, cake flour is not plain flour. Plain flour is medium gluten flour whereas cake flour is low gluten flour. You can find cake flour almost in all supermarkets or shops like Phoon Huat, Sun Lik, etc. Some supermarkets sell cake flour in a box.

Anonymous said...

Kevin Chai's recipes are always very, very sweet. I always cut the sugar to half the amount in the recipe.

Hearty Adventures said...

Thank you for sharing this great recipe. I followed your modifications as I'm not find of sweet cakes too. It turned out really well.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Culiverter

Add it to your blog