Tried out this carrot cake recipe given by a good friend of mine. Did not follow the recipe exactly but modified it to my requirements. My older boy really like to eat black fried carrot cake and he has been having this three days in a row for breakfast.
Chinese Carrot Cake
150g raddish shredded )
100g carrot shredded ) squeezed dry
3 tbsp chai por (preserved raddish) soaked in water for a while and throw away water
3 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
600g rice flour
1.5 litre of water + 1 cup water + ½ cup water (or 1/3 cup also can)
1. Mix all the water with the flour.
2. Heat some oil in a wok and fry chai por. Add in raddish and carrot and fry for a while. Add in about ¼ cup of water and fry until it gets dry. Mix rice flour solution well and pour into wok slowly.
3. Add some pepper, the salt and sugar. Mix well and cook until mixture starts to curdle up at medium heat.
4. Pour into a greased baking tin and smoothen with the back of a spoon.
5. Steam on high heat for 45 minutes immediately.
6. If there is water on the carrot cake after steaming, pour it away. Leave it to cool down totally before using it.
How to fry black carrot cake.
1. Cut the cool carrot cake into small pieces.
2. Add some oil in a wok, add some minced garlic and fry for a while. Add in carrot cake and fry until a bit brown. Add in some soaked chai por and fry some more. Beat two eggs in a bowl and add it into the carrot cake and let it set a little before stirring. Add in sweet black sauce and fry. If you like it more salty you can add some fish sauce when frying.
Note: I like the black carrot cake a little wet, so I added some water after adding the sweet black sauce to fry until it has become softer and wetter. Before serving, you can sprinkle some chopped spring onion on top.