Saturday, June 09, 2007

Dumpling Festival is here

I am starting early this year. Dumpling Festival is not here yet but I just wanted to make some first to try out.

It took me a few hours this afternoon to make about 90 over nonya dumplings. I made two types. One is the normal nonya dumpling and one I added hae bee hiam (cooked chilli dried shrimp) inside.

The normal nonya chang
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The hae bee hiam nonya chang
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Recipe

Glutinous rice 3 kg
Pork 2 kg
Small onions about 700 gm
Dried mushroom
Dried wintermelon
Dried chestnut
Coriander powder
White pepper
Black soy sauce
Salt
Sugar
Leaves for wrapping
String

Methods

1. Soak rice overnight or at least 4 hours.
2. Wash and soak leaves for a few hours
3. Sliced small onions into thin slices. Use 1/3 of the sliced onion to fry with oil until crispy. Leave aside for later use.
4. Soak dried mushroom. When it is soften, cut into small pieces.
5. Wash and cook dried chestnut until a little soft. Remove all the red colour skin from chestnut. Rinse chestnut and put into a small pot. Add enough water to cover chestnut and add enough sugar to boil until chestnut is soft. Chop into small pieces.
6. Boil pork into water until cook. Cut pork into small pieces to be used later.
7. Heat wok with some oil and add some chopped garlic to fry for a while, add in the remaining 2/3 sliced onions and fry until is soft but not brown. Add in mushroom and fry for a little while.
8. Add in pork, and chestnut, winter melon. Fry to mix well. Add in coriander powder and pepper and fry for a while. Then add in black soy sauce and mix well. Add in abt 2 tsp of salt and fry. Taste the filling, if it is sweet enough, no need to add sugar. If you find that the coriander smell is not strong enough, you can add more and taste accordingly. Add in a little water and fry until fillings is ready. Leave it to cool before using.
9. Drain rice and put it in a big bowl. Add in fried onions with some of the oil and salt to mix well with the rice. I used my finger to taste the saltiness of the rice. I think I use abt 1 tbsp of salt.
10. Wrap dumpling and boil dumpling for at least 2 hours until dumpling is cooked.

24 comments:

Little Corner of Mine said...

Drooling!! Hehe... Oh, I love your tea set too!

Hugbear said...

Ching, I accidentally found it in one my cupboards. So it found it's appearance just in time for the festival. Hehehe

Chawanmushi said...

LeeLee
Love all your dumplings.... never get to eat dumplings on the actually day itself cos' the price of dumplings always go way up LOL

Anonymous said...

Hi Hugbear,

Usually my mum would made ba chang but i like nonya chang very much. She doesn't noe how to make them.

Can u share the recipe?
So tat my mum & i can make some for the coming festival...

Ya btw thank for yr laksa recipe. I had tried out n VERDICT: YUMMY

Regards
Madeline

Hugbear said...

Hi Madeline,

Thanks for letting me know the laksa recipe works for you.

I have posted the recipe of the nonya change up for you already. Enjoying your chang wrapping session with you mom and let me know if you like this recipe.

Audrey said...

May i know where to get the Coriander powder?

Anonymous said...

hi Hugbear,

How much should we put in for the mushrooms, chestnuts n wintermelon?
To our liking, is it?

All e above ingredients chopped to litte pcs?

Sorry, too much questions...

Regards
Madeline

Mcwhisky said...

It's harder than what I've thought. And you make it look so simple, I'm tempted! Btw, can those leaves be bought?

Hugbear said...

Audrey you can get it easily at any wet market or supermarket.

Madeline, for the wintermelon and mushroom, it is up to your preference. For a guide, I would suggest 100 gm of dried mushroom. Soak it until soft then dice it into small pcs. One thing abt nonya chang is that all the ingredients must be cut into small pcs.

I used two packet of the dried chestnut I bought from NTUC. If you prefer more you can always use more. As for the wintermelon, I omitted it as I din like the chang filling to be too sweet.

Hugbear said...

Whisky, you can buy the leaves from any supermarket or wet market. Easily available at this period of time. It is not easy to wrap chang but with practice you should be able to do it. Give you a tip, if you are not confident to wrap raw rice, you could steam the rice first. With cooked rice, it will be much easier to handle during the wrapping. Have fun.

Anonymous said...

wah LeeLee, can i be super thick-skinned and "yao gui" to ask u for one each?? =P they look so yummy!

erinalaw said...

so fast kah? I will only do it this sunday. 90 dumpling. wow!!

Anonymous said...

yummy ...I miss my mom's nonya chang.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks for your recipe LeeLee, I made my first Nyonya chang and love it.

Hugbear said...

Hi Ching, I will go to your blog and see your chang ok. Hahaha

Anonymous said...

Hi Hugbear,

Glad tat i m able to leave comments here cos i couldn't leave any comments during the festival seaon. It doesn't allow anonymous comments on your blog.

I m hopping to share w u tat our (My mum n I) nonya dumplings re a great hits. My nephew n nieces love them very much & we too...

Thank for yr recipe. Btw we actually ask the pork seller to mince the meat instead of chopping ourselves.

Regards
Madeline

Hugbear said...

Hi Madeline, glad that your nonya chang is a hit with your family members. I realised that something was wrong with my comments setting. Luckily now I managed to fix it.

Anonymous said...

the receipe provided in the blog, how many dumpling can be make from that? How manypakcet of the leaves do i need to buy?

Hugbear said...

Sorry I cannot remember how many and how many packets of leaves I bought. Actually, it also depends on how big or how small you wrap the chang.

bel said...

Thanks hugbear for all yr recipes posted. I stumble by chance when I was desperately looking for 9 layer kueh. I live in Calgary, Canada and been away fm Singapore for 5 years and never thought that I wud miss our local kueh. This Father's day, some Malaysian and Singaporean friends are gathering for a laksa party and I will be making yr recipe of 9 layer kueh or baked tapioca. Oh I must also comment that the photograpy is really attractive and looks so yummy that you just want to get yr hands on them. Thanks again.

Bel

Hugbear said...

Hi Bel, thanks for dropping by my blog. Hope you are happy with the recipe.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I tried making nonya dumpling recently. IT didn't turn out good. the dumpling taste a little of plant smell. I had soaked the leaves overnight . Do I need to boil it ?

Hugbear said...

No I did not boil them. I soak them and then used a cloth to wipe clean each leave one by one.

flo said...

I'm getting your recipe for a friend.
This video will complement your recipe. It only shows HOW to wrap the nyonya chang. No recipe given. I'm sure it will be useful for the newbies.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Culiverter

Add it to your blog