Monday, July 06, 2009

Sugar Roll

I am posting the sugar roll recipe which was taken from Aunty Yochana's blog. In the first picture you can see that the sugar roll was coated with sugar. However, tonight I just baked another batch of sugar roll but without the sugar coating as hubby requested for no-sugar coated roll. Since we have just bought a box of very sweet strawberry, he has requested that I add some to the sugar roll. Thus you can see here my strawberry sugar roll without the sugar.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Sugar Roll

Ingrediens:

4 nos. egg white
80 gm. caster sugar
4 nos. egg yolk
1/4 tsp. vanilla essence
100 gm. cake flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
40 gm. corn oil

100 gm. Butter cream
invert Sugar - very fine sugar

Method:

(1) Whisk egg white for awhile, then add in caster sugar gradually.
(2) Drop in the egg yolk one by one into the beating egg white until finish. Add in vanilla essence and continue beating for another 3 mins.
(3) Stop the machine, fold in the cake flour and baking powder.
(4) Fold in cornoil and pour into a 11" x 14" tray or 10" x 14" tray and bake at 200C for about 10 mins.
(5) Take out from tray and leave on the wire rack to cool.
(6) Spread butter cream onto the cooled swiss roll and roll into a swiss roll.
(7) Sprinkle some sugar onto a greaseproof paper and roll the swiss roll to and fro until evenly covered with the help of the greaseproof paper.
(8) Slice and serve.

Coffee Butter Cream:

80 sugar + 25 gm. water
60 gm. egg white
220 gm. chilled Butter
40 gm. shortening (Crisco)
1 - 2 tsp. Coffee Paste ( 1-2 tsp is up to your preference)
1 - 2 tsp. Kahlua or Tia Maria

(1) Boil the sugar with water until mixture thickens and while boiling, beat the egg white till frothy and pour in the sugar syrup and beat till mixture cools down.
(2) Add in the chilled butter and shortening and beat till fluffy.
(3) Add in coffee paste and kahlua.
note: You might not use the whole recipe (butter cream) for this swiss roll. Keep the balance in the fridge and you can use it to decorate other cakes. If I make the recipe lesser, it's very hard to beat up the egg white. You can also double up the recipe and keep this butter cream for creaming all your cakes. According to tt, it's called "French Cream", if I'm not mistaken.

* Note: I omitted the the coffee paste and coffee liquer and just made plain buttercream.

23 comments:

chow and chatter said...

this is amazing good job

Anne said...

Hi, love the sugar roll with strawberries.. Have been following your blog, but only have time to try only one of your recipe, the peach marshmallow cake.
Will try to make time to try other recipes.

Jenn said...

Hi, this week on my site Collectors' Quest I am featuring people who collect cookie jars. I figured since you wrote so much about baked goods that you'd like to check it out: http://www.collectorsquest.com/featured-week/Cookie+Jars.html

tracieMoo said...

another amazing swiss roll! is it possible to omit eggs and shortening for buttercream?

Kitchen Corner said...

Nicely rolled swiss roll!

Hugbear said...

Hi Tracie, yes you can omit egg and shortening but the butter may not be able to keep it's shape too long in our kind of temperature.

Hugbear said...

Hi Anne, I just love the picture of the tomyam steamboat in your blog. Look so inviting and yummyliciously good.

Hugbear said...

Oops, I meant to say Chow and Chatter and not Anne. Sorry, heehee

Hugbear said...

Hi Jenn, amazing collection of cookie jar. In Singapore it is not possible to keep our cookies in cookie jars due to the fact that our humidity is way too high to keep the biscuit crisp and nice. We usually keep our cookies in airtight containers instead.

Anonymous said...

Hi! Beside using cake clour can use other flour for this receipe?
May I know what brand of cake flour are you using?

Thanks
Chris

Hugbear said...

Hi Chris, you can use top flour or hongkong flour if you don't want to use cake flour. I am using the cake flour from Phoon Huat.

May said...

can i find out how fast do u beat the eggwhites & egg yolks? and to what consistency can you stop beating them?

Hugbear said...

Hi May, I used speed 6 to 7 on my KitchenAid mixer. I started adding the eggyolk when the eggwhite are beaten until glossy and medium stiff. I stop when the eggwhite and yolk mixture are well beaten until almost stiff.

Anonymous said...

Wah! i love the strawberry & rainbow swiss roll. They look SOOOOO Preetyy. Oh! How i miss your carrot cake too ; ( Ah Leng

Hugbear said...

Ah Leng, when are you coming over for lunch? Tell me in advance and I make the sugar roll or strawberry roll for you.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I was wondering, can I use the swiss roll recipe on 9"x12" tray?? Is it too small? I'm scare tat the sponge cake will turn out thick n will be pretty hard to roll.

Thanks & regards

Rose

Gab said...

baking mum,

how about the chilled butter in the buttercream recipe... How can I beat that with the shorttening, its hard if it is chilled right?

Thanks

Hugbear said...

Gab, the butter is chilled, more like semi-hard rather than very hard. I have no problem beating it with my KA. Use the flat beater if you have. If not, just make sure it is not frozen hard but more like semi-hard when beating the butter.

Hugbear said...

Gab, I forgot to mention, cut the chilled butter into smaller pieces will help in the beating also.

Gab said...

thanks.


anyway, last question about this butter cream recipe.. If I don't like to put the coffee paste, and the kahlua, the first four ingredients will just be a plain and simple buttercream right.?
Because im going to bake a spongecake again and I want to frost it with the buttercream..

thanks baking mum. have a nice day

Hugbear said...

Gab, I have stated in my note that I have also omitted the coffee emulco and Kahlua to make it plain buttercream.

Anonymous said...

Hi Hugbear,

I'm also a fan of your blog:)Your family is so blessed by your expertise

Thanks once again for sharing this lovely recipe.
i did a batch using mango with fresh cream, the result was great! Didn't use buttercream cos I'm on diet..haha..

Initially when i rolled it, the surface of the cake cracked.. then i used a wet towel n placed it just below the greaseproof paper n cake for rolling, and it didn't crack;0

My ds bday will be coming and he would love to have a thomas the train cake, wonder if i could wrap up the swiss roll with fondant and make it into the shape of a train.. Could u give me some advice and idea? thank u so much!
God bless,
Tina

LL said...

Hi, please advise if I could use
40g melted butter instead of corn oil?
I notice the preparation for sugar roll is different from swiss roll. Would my sugar roll turn out the same if I choose to follow swiss roll method?

Apprec your comments. Tks. LL

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Culiverter

Add it to your blog