I am starting early this year. Dumpling Festival is not here yet but I just wanted to make some first to try out.
It took me a few hours this afternoon to make about 90 over nonya dumplings. I made two types. One is the normal nonya dumpling and one I added hae bee hiam (cooked chilli dried shrimp) inside.
The normal nonya chang
The hae bee hiam nonya chang
Glutinous rice 3 kg
Pork 2 kg
Small onions about 700 gm
Black soy sauce
Leaves for wrapping
1. Soak rice overnight or at least 4 hours.
2. Wash and soak leaves for a few hours
3. Sliced small onions into thin slices. Use 1/3 of the sliced onion to fry with oil until crispy. Leave aside for later use.
4. Soak dried mushroom. When it is soften, cut into small pieces.
5. Wash and cook dried chestnut until a little soft. Remove all the red colour skin from chestnut. Rinse chestnut and put into a small pot. Add enough water to cover chestnut and add enough sugar to boil until chestnut is soft. Chop into small pieces.
6. Boil pork into water until cook. Cut pork into small pieces to be used later.
7. Heat wok with some oil and add some chopped garlic to fry for a while, add in the remaining 2/3 sliced onions and fry until is soft but not brown. Add in mushroom and fry for a little while.
8. Add in pork, and chestnut, winter melon. Fry to mix well. Add in coriander powder and pepper and fry for a while. Then add in black soy sauce and mix well. Add in abt 2 tsp of salt and fry. Taste the filling, if it is sweet enough, no need to add sugar. If you find that the coriander smell is not strong enough, you can add more and taste accordingly. Add in a little water and fry until fillings is ready. Leave it to cool before using.
9. Drain rice and put it in a big bowl. Add in fried onions with some of the oil and salt to mix well with the rice. I used my finger to taste the saltiness of the rice. I think I use abt 1 tbsp of salt.
10. Wrap dumpling and boil dumpling for at least 2 hours until dumpling is cooked.