Mandarin oranges are a must in all Chinese families during the Lunar New Year. Our tradition is to bring a pair of mandarin oranges with you wherever you go. You have to give this pair of oranges to your relatives/friends and also to say something good to them. Like, wishing them a Happy New Year, Prosperous New Year, Success in their business/work, Healthy year for them, etc, etc. The other party is supposed to return the good luck, good fortune, good wishes to you by returning you a pair of mandarin oranges too. Isn't this great. You wish others all the good things and in return they return all that you wish for them back to you.
Since I had many many mandarin oranges at home, I attempted this dessert with them.
Mandarin Orange Mousse (recipe by Charming Mousse)
Ingredients for bottom layer:
10 gm instant jelly powder
200 ml water
2 tbsp castor sugar
5 pieces mandarin orange
5 red cherries
Ingredients for mousse layer:
100 ml orange juice
2 tsp gelatine powder
1 egg yolk
200 gm fresh cream
20 pieces mandarin orange
2 tbsp Grand Marnier (or other orange liquer)
1. To make the bottom layer, prepare the glasses, place in mandarin orange and red cherry.
2. Cook the jelly powder, water and sugar over a medium heat until boil. Pour into a glass, leave to set.
3. To make mousse, stir orange jouice, gelatine powder and egg yolk over boiling water until thicken. Remove from heat and leave to cool.
4. Whisk the fresh cream until soft peak. Pound the mandarin oranges until finely paste.
5. Pour the fresh cream, mandarin orange paste and Grand Marnier into egg yolk mixture. Stir until to be a mousse.
6. Pipe the mousse into the glasses separately. Fridge it until set.